Are Mosquito Coils Toxic to Dogs? Tips How to Treat

Mosquito coils are used as home pest control in many parts of the world. Unfortunately, some products contain chemicals that are toxic to dogs.

Some contain DEET, which is one of the most common and dangerous pesticides on the market. Though the amount of poison in a mosquito coil is extremely small and can cause neurological problems and even death if used improperly.

The pesticides that can sicken or kill a dog

Mosquito coils are a popular way to keep mosquitoes away, but they can pose some dangers to dogs. Mosquito coils contain different chemicals, some of which are pesticides. These chemicals are toxic to dogs and can cause illness or death if ingested. Dogs may be tempted to chew on mosquito coils because the smoke coming off them smells nice and resembles food. If you have a dog in your home and you use mosquito coils, it’s best not to let your dog get too close to them—especially if there are small children or babies in the house as well!

The most common symptoms while dog inhales coils smoke 

 The most common symptoms after inhaling smoke from mosquito coils include vomiting and diarrhea, but these symptoms will only arise if your pet consumes an excessive amount of smoke or breathes in too much at once. 

Call your vet When notice any symptom 

If this happens, call your veterinarian right away because treatment options depend on how much exposure occurred before you noticed any symptoms appear on their own accord (which could mean hours).  

Pesticides disrupts the nervous system of dogs

Mosquito coils contain pyrethrum, which is a natural pesticide. Pesticides act by disrupting the nervous system of insects and other animals, including dogs. When certain pesticides are ingested or inhaled, they can cause severe illness or death in mammals.

Pesticide toxicity can result from different routes of exposure, including ingestion and inhalation (breathing). Dogs may consume mosquito coils if they find them while walking on the ground or digging through trash cans and garbage bags. The chemicals in mosquito coils can also be inhaled by your dog when he sniffs or eats one of these devices, but this will likely only happen if you’re using an old coil that has been sitting out for some time without being burned off completely by its wick (the part that burns).

Symptoms of pesticide poisoning in dogs

If your dog consumes a mosquito coil and becomes ill as a result, it may exhibit the following symptoms:

  • Drooling
  • Muscle tremors
  • Vomiting and diarrhea (sometimes bloody)
  • Seizures

Dog  become very ill after eating coils

If your dog eats a mosquito coil, he could become very ill. If you suspect that your dog has eaten one, call a vet immediately for advice. If you cannot reach a vet, induce vomiting if possible; this should only be done if the dog is alert and responsive. If the symptoms seem more severe than that (such as difficulty breathing), call an ambulance immediately. In general, most cases are mild enough to keep at home without hospitalization or any further treatment needed beyond keeping your pet indoors and away from other pets until they recover fully.

Use a non-toxic mosquito trap to save your dogs

The best way to protect a pet from mosquitoes is to use a non-toxic mosquito trap. These devices attract and capture mosquitoes using light and heat, so they’re completely safe for pets! In addition to protecting your pets from mosquito bites, these traps can also help you avoid getting bit while outside as well. They provide a natural way of controlling the mosquito population in your yard by attracting them with their UV light and then killing them once they land on the trap’s surface.

What Should I Do If My Dog Ingested the Mosquito Coil?

You should call your vet if your dog has ingested a mosquito coil. Try to get the coil out of the dog’s mouth or stomach if you can. You might be able to do this by making him vomit with hydrogen peroxide or syrup of ipecac (but only if he is unconscious and not breathing). Be careful not to burn yourself as you try this!

Call your vet immediately if you cannot get the mosquito coil out of your dog’s mouth or stomach. The vet will want to know how much of the mosquito coil was ingested and how long ago it was ingested so they can decide on possible treatments.

The chemicals in mosquito coils are toxic to dogs, so be sure to keep your dog away from them.

Your dog may be a big fan of mosquito coils, but their chemicals can cause vomiting and diarrhea. If your dog eats too many mosquito coils, call your vet immediately.

The pyrethrins in this incense are toxic to dogs, cats, and birds. If you see your canine friend eating one of these coils, it’s time to get worried—



 it does contain carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide, which are both poisonous gases. If you breathe these gases in large enough quantities, they can cause respiratory problems and even death.

In addition, many people with asthma or other breathing problems find it difficult to breathe when they are around the smoke from mosquito coils.


 No, mosquito candles aren't toxic to dogs.

Mosquito candles are typically made with oil and citronella, so they're not going to be hazardous to your dog's health. However, if you have a young puppy who chews on everything, keeping them away from the candle is always a good idea until you know it's safe.


 You can get sick from mosquito coils, but it's not common. Only you will get sick when you use the coils in a confined room. 

The answer is yes, but only if you use them incorrectly.

You should never leave a coil burning unattended, and you should keep them away from pets. If your pet is sleeping near a coil, it could get burned by the heat.

If you have any concerns about your pet being exposed to mosquito coils, contact your vet immediately.

 Let you know  what Research Gate says about this.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *